“I already have a website, why do I need a blog?” “I’m not sure I should bother with a blog, I already do Social Media.” These are only a couple of statements I often hear from people, there are many more along those lines. Business people often don’t understand the value of a blog, especially a blog that is attached to your website. So why is business blogging so important?
I have the compiled the 7 main reasons why it is more than just a good idea to add a blog to your website.
- A blog is the perfect medium through which you can establish yourself as an expert in your niche. You can give tips and hints about your industry and show your knowledge in a variety of ways. You can talk about new developments in your industry showing that you are up to the minute with what’s going on in your field.
- A blog gives your the perfect opportunity to give people more information about your products and services. You can describe certain features in detail and how they can serve your customers’ needs supported by photos and videos.
- Business blogging also gives you a useful opportunity to talk about any new products or services you might be offering. You can introduce new features and upgrades and how you came to develop them.
- You can use a blog to showcase particularly successful case studies (with or without naming client, whatever is appropriate). How your products or services have helped a client with a particularly difficult problem or how a client had a breakthrough using your products.
- On the technical side: because of the fact that your are likely to announce your blog posts on Social Media, you create inbound links to your website which will go down very well with search engines. Google & Co highly rate relevant inbound links so your search engine rankings will go up. Some people might disagree with this point because of a certain attribute called no-follow. Yes, social media backlinks are mostly no-follow but they still give you traffic and that is what counts in the end.
- Google & Co are also very fond of websites that are updated on a regular basis with good content. Business blogging gives you a very easy and natural way to do this, whether you blog weekly, bi-weekly or even monthly. And the search engines will reward your up-to-date, content rich website with higher rankings.
- A well publicised blog will also add web traffic to your website and traffic is the reason you have a website in the first place. With clever links within your blog you can lead your visitors to the pages you really want them to see, such as your products and services pages or you can get them so sign up to your newsletter to get regular updates, i.e. you’re expanding your mailing list.
Business Blogging Really Pays
As you can see there are many reasons why you would want to add a blog to your website. Having an external blog on a dedicated blogging website such as Blogger or WordPress.com can be useful but definitely consider adding the blog directly to your website instead. Your website will benefit immensely due to increased traffic and improved search engine optimisation.
If you would like to receive regular blogging tips please connect with me on Facebook or Twitter. Just click the link in the sidebar. 🙂