According to the Chartered Institute of Public Relations, the definition of Public Relations is
The discipline which looks after reputation, with the aim of earning understanding and support and influencing opinion and behaviour. It is the planned and sustained effort to establish and maintain goodwill and mutual understanding between an organisation and its publics. Source
This sounds a lot like what we are trying to achieve through blogging. In fact, blogging can go a long way towards your public relations (PR) efforts.
With PR you are aiming for your target audience to understand your company, your ethos as well as learn what the business is all about. That can be achieved very well through blogging. If we create blog posts that give insights into our company culture we create PR. Behind-the-scenes posts are a particularly good example of this.
Good ideas for your public relations posts
Other types of articles that make good PR posts are:
- Information about new hires
- Background about awards you have won
- Are you moving to new premises? Talk about it in a blog post.
- Customer success stories – in particular, if you were able to help customers where other companies failed
- Showing and talking about real life examples how your customers are using your products (this shows you care about them)
- Stories of outstanding customer service
- Are you involved in charitable events? Talk about that, too.
There are many more ideas, just start thinking like a reporter. What could be newsworthy? What type of stories about businesses appear in newspaper or magazines.
These are also the kind of articles that make great guest posts on community websites. They are not overly promotional but still show your company in a great light which is what public relations is all about.
Over to you
Make a list of 10 articles you could write that could form part of your PR efforts. Then slot them into your editorial calendar.
And if you found this article useful, please share it on LinkedIn.