“Build it and they will come!” This famous (mis)quote from the film ‘Field of Dreams’ starring Kevin Costner does not apply to many things unfortunately. It would be wonderful if all you had to do is open a shop and customers would flock in or create a film and everyone would watch it. The same is true if you build a website. Just because it’s there doesn’t mean traffic automatically appears. So how can you get more traffic?
A great way to increase traffic is to start blogging on your website. There are several reasons for this.
How blogging helps you to get more traffic
- As you add more and more posts to your blog, your website becomes bigger and there are more and more pages for search engines to index. This means that search engines will send more traffic to your website as you appear more often.
- Google is now mostly content driven, which means the more relevant your content is to the main purpose of your website the higher your ranking in Google will be. And higher rankings means you get more traffic.
- Regular blog posts mean a regularly updated website. Google is much more likely to rank a website with regular, fresh content than a stale one that hasn’t been updated in months or even years. Keep to a regular blogging schedule and your rankings will go up.
- You are most likely going to want people to read your blog posts so you are going to share them to your social media. People who follow you on social media will want to know what you are writing about and will come and read your blog posts.
- Your existing contacts will be interested that you have written yet another blog post. You can inform them by sending out an email newsletter. This will send your contacts to your website.
- And finally: People who are coming to your website to read your blog posts and like what they read want to share these posts on social media. Install social sharing buttons so they don’t have to copy/paste the URL (web address). Make it easier for them and they are more likely to share. This will in turn increase your traffic.
As you can see, there are many reasons why blogging is great for web traffic. It is almost like “build it and they will come”. You just have to do some nudging in the right direction to make it happen.
Over to you
If you would like to start blogging for your business but are not sure where to start, why not get in touch? I offer blogging training for small business owners and entrepreneurs. Simply email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you blogging in no time.
And if you find this blog post useful, please use one of the social share buttons and share this article to your favourite social media platform. Thank you. 🙂