Accounting is probably not one the most creative topics, let’s be honest. If the words “creative” and “accounting” get put together, you’re probably talking about something outside the law and that’s really not where you want to be. But this doesn’t mean that you cannot get a little bit creative when it comes to your marketing strategy. Blogging is a great way for accountants to ramp up their marketing, by doing something they’re really good at. And that is talking about accounting. So here are some of the reasons why your firm should consider blogging for accountants.
Why your accountancy firm should be blogging
- You are an expert in your field. That is a good reason to share your knowledge and let potential clients see that you know what you’re talking about. Blogging can really improve your credibility and make that referral turn into business.
- Do you find yourself always answering the same questions? Answer them in the form of blog posts. Then you simply send people to your website every time you get asked that question again. Accounting principles stay the same year after year, so you are creating evergreen content that you can send traffic to again and again. And should something change, you can update the post (or create a new one).
- Do you provide a wide variety of services? Talk about them in your blog posts and share these in your newsletter and on social media. If your existing clients don’t know the range of services you offer, they might wander off to other accountants when they could stay with you.
- A large amount of web traffic means a greater pool of potential clients. But did you know that blogging is one of the best ways to increase your web traffic? The more pages you add to your website (every blog post creates its own page), the more chances you have to be found in search engines. You also want to share each blog post throughout your social media accounts, which will additionally boost your traffic.
- Blogging is also an excellent tool to improve the search engine optimisation of your website. Key factors are: relevant, regular content and relevant links from other websites that link back to yours. Blogging improves both, making your pages rank higher.
3 special tips to get blogging for accountants right
- Don’t even think about blogging anywhere other than your website
This is the only way you can reap the benefits that blogging brings to your website. If you use one of the free blogging platforms this all goes out of the window.
- Write for your potential customers
“Blogging for accountants” doesn’t mean that you write for accountants. You want to attract more clients, most of which are not accountants. So be aware of jargon. Explain any accounting terminology, make yourself accessible and approachable. Your readers will thank you by becoming your clients.
- Answer the most common accounting questions
Don’t get too technical though. You are not trying to turn your readers into accountancy graduates. Think in terms of impact for the business or how potential pitfalls can be avoided.
Over to you
If your accountancy firm is thinking about beginning to blog but you’re not sure where to start, we can help. Well Organised Marketing provides blogging training for businesses. This can be either an online course or a tailored one-on-one training program. Please get in touch with me to find out more at: email@example.com .